Sunday, March 3, 2013

The more you like yourself, the bigger your goals…the less you like yourself, the smaller your goals.

The more you like yourself, the bigger your goals…the less you like yourself, the smaller your goals.



Today, I talked about goals in the youth class. But before we could talk about goals, we had to talk about liking ourselves because there is a direct correlation between how much you like yourself and the size of your goals. So…I asked everyone to say something they wanted…anything…something they wanted to buy, or something they wanted to accomplish or something they wanted to be, etc. Here are their responses by race.

- I want to be a chemist

- I want to go to the prom

- I want to reach the highest fighting level (something like jijitzu…)

- I want to get an A in Biology

- I want to make the soccer team.



- I want to pass my classes (two said this)

- I want this school year to be over

- “I’ll pass” (I don’t have a goal)

- I don’t want to fail my classes

(To me, this is very telling and therefore very concerning. The first list speaks of kids who have a healthy self-esteem. The second list speaks of kids with low self-esteem, i.e., not motivated….i.e., an empty LoveCup.  Parents' words and actions play a huge role in fostering positive self esteem. Plus, studies show there is a link between healthy self-esteem and higher education.)
I continued by explaining that the more you like yourself, the bigger your goals….the less you like yourself, the smaller your goals.

Step one to liking yourself is accepting yourself. I shared the logic I used on myself a while back which was the following: God is perfect, i.e., He doesn’t make mistakes. God made me. So I must be perfect just the way I am because God does not make mistakes. Plus, I realized that every time I said or thought I don’t like something about myself I was saying God made a mistake. And if God LOVES me, the least I can do is LIKE myself.  A very simple strategy to liking yourself more is to say “I like myself” over and over again. Brian Tracy says it best in his short 3-4 min video: http://www.briantracy.com/files/pages/videos/posc.html?p=212

SHARING IS CARING

No comments: