Friday, March 8, 2013

Full LoveCup Day

Full LoveCup Day.....Look what I got today!...just because....from my sister... :)  One of the several encouragements I got today that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing!  I had a parenting class and 3 one-one-one consultations...I'm turning into that nanny that goes into people's home and whips them into shape!  


I am always amazed by how much a 1 year old understands.  This mom has a 1 year old and a 4 year old.  She had told me that the one year old is able to open the front door even when it is locked and that he keeps climbing up onto the kitchen counter and that this morning he fell.   Other concerns she had were that her husband is not patient with their sons and in her opinion he mistreats them.   So much so, that they don't want to be with him.  Her other concern is that the preschool is telling her that her 4 year old yells and throws things and doesn't listen.

While there, the 1 year old got up onto the counter.  I ran to the kitchen, told him his mom does not want him to get up on the counters, took him down, opened the kitchen door to the patio and told him he had to sit on steps until I counted to 10.  He sat there looking up at me, confused, with a look that said "what's the big deal?"  When the counting was over, I told him he could come in now and that if he got up there again, he would have to sit on the steps again.  I explained to the mom that making it seem like it was a really big deal/offense was part of the strategy.  It, of course, also requires that you ACT.  You have to get up and do something. 

There are many reasons why we need to teach our kids to obey.  Here are a few that come to mind from this encounter with this mom:

·         you will avoid having to go to the ER!  Falling from the counter is dangerous!!

·         your husband will not be so exasperated with your sons...they will know you mean it when you say something

·         your child will not be labeled in preschool or kindergarten as a "bad" kid   - when our kids get labeled as bad kids, I would say most of the time, it's because they don't know how to obey. 

I believe kids are smart!  They will understand you...and they do want to please you. 

No comments: